Thursday, April 08, 2010

Couponing

A couple of months ago a friend of mine offered a class on couponing basics. She seemed to always be getting things for cheap or free and I wanted to see what it was all about. So long story short. I've jumped in with both feet.

So here's how I've done this week.

CVS trip:
(3) 12 pack Soft Drinks = $11.00
(1) 12 Roll Charmin = $4.99
(1) Contact Solution/Cleaner = $8.99
(1) Colgate Toothpaste = $2.29
(1) Pack of Gum = .99

Total = $29.44
I paid ZERO plus I MADE 40 cents.

Publix Trip:
I didn't think to take a pic of my stuff from there. A lot of it was refrigerated items and I put everything away as soon as I walked in the door.
Here's what I got (18 items):
2lbs Ground Chuck; 1lb Chicken Cutlets; 1 gallon Milk; Lucky Charms; 2 cans of Mixed nuts; 8 pack Gatorade; 2 boxes of Princess and the Frog Band-aids; FOUR Bags Birds Eye Meal in a Bag; Pam Cooking Spray; Coffeemate; 1pk Craisins; 1pk Goldfish Crackers
Retail price before Savings and Coupons: $66.67 including tax
I paid: $31.96 including tax


Rite Aid quick trip:
(1) Gillette Razor = $8.99
(1) Package of Pampers = $9.99
(1) Crest Toothpaste = $2.29
Total = $22.17
I paid $9.17
Rite Aid has a rebate program which qualify for $7.50 on these products.
making my total out of pocket once I get that Rebate check, $1.67.
I'd be happy with that if all I bought was the diapers! :)

I looked through the Publix ad again and found more coupons I could use, so I went back there for a quick 2nd trip.

Publix Quick Trip:

(1)Gallon of Milk = $2.69
(2) Scrubbing Bubbles Power Sprayer Cleaners = $15.98
(1) Soft Scrub Kitchen Cleaner = $2.50
(2) 2 Liter 7up = $1.79 on sale
(3) Pk Goldfish Crackers = $3.00 on sale
(3) Boxes Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes = $3.00 on sale
(1) Green Giant Boxed Frozen Veggie = $1.00 on sale

Total w/tax= $32.36
I paid = $2.18

A few things I've learned.
-You have to be willing to invest a fair amount of time. Especially in the beginning as you get organized and learn what you're doing.
-You have to be willing to go multiple places. I have a CVS, a Rite Aid, and a Publix all right next to each other, 2 minutes from my house. So as long as I plan it right, it hasn't been a big deal.
-You can't expect results right away. Although I've has a really good week, I started this at the end of January and have wondered several times if I was really going to be able to make it work for my family. I'm still not where I want to be. But I can see that if I stick to it, I'll get there.
-Once you get fairly familiar with what you're doing, just expect and know that you'll know more about different stores' coupon policy's then the people that work there.
-I've read a lot of horror stories online about people having problems with managers and cashiers when presenting their coupons. But don't let this bother you. In my case, I haven't run into any of that at all. In fact everyone has been very friendly.

So there you go. My first REALLY good week of coupon success.
A Grand total of $150.64 worth of groceries for $35.41
Bring on next week! :)

3 comments:

Brianna said...

Awesome! Great job!

one BleSSed gal! said...

It's so addictive, isn't it?!

Anonymous said...

Don't tell J.B. but I am proud of you. grin obie1